Friday, June 4, 2010

The Upper Rhine

I was invited to do a demonstration at the Morris County Art Association in 2005. In the one-hour time-slot, I was able to finish the first draft of this picture -- basically all the elements were there, but the color intensity was only one-layer deep. I liked the result, and was able to finish the rest by further color washes and touch-ups.

This picture reminds me of some scenery in a trip I took in Switzerland years ago. The upper reaches of the River Rhine cut through deep gorges -- the interplay between idyllic villages and rugged landscape made its impressions. I was later able to further appreciate spectacular river gorge scenery when I took a cruise along the Yangtze River in the Three Gorges region. This work is an amalgamation of feelings from both trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment